Monday, December 20, 2010

Rooting my Android Phone

So, this past week, I rediscovered how much I love the Android platform. I've been a believer since the G1 was first released, and this year, the poor thing was starting to die. So I needed a new phone, and decided to go with the Tmobile MyTouch 3G Slide. I wanted the hard keyboard, but I've found with SwiftKey I never use it. But that's a post for another day.

I had been running the stock OS on the G1, and since it was basically as pure Android as you could get, I never really felt the need to root. The MyTouch Slide, however, is another story. I had been frustrated with the sheer volume of bloatware on this phone that couldn't be uninstalled, and to make matters worse, Tmobile has been promising an update to Android 2.2 Froyo - with the ability to move applications to the SD card and free up some space - since last summer. Guess what hasn't happened yet.

This week, I finally got fed up with the whole thing. I couldn't run all the apps I wanted to, and I was annoyed with various other things, such as the really horrible contact manager Tmobile was forcing on users of the phone. I did my research on the Web, and ultimately decided to go with CyanogenMod 6.1.1, which had released a root version for the Slide.

As a side note, "root" is a deceptive term. Every phone is a little bit different. The basic process of rooting is the same across pretty much all of them, but the ROMs with all the OS information is different for each phone. Please, please, if you're going to root, make sure you find a ROM that is specifically configured for your phone.

Anyway, I decided to root, and got myself all ready. I can tell you, it was not without trepidation that I began the process, since, frankly, it's not impossible to completely brick your phone doing this. The various developers have created methods that are pretty idiot-proof, but still, you're messing around with things that weren't, strictly speaking, supposed to be messed around with.

I won't go into all the steps I took, since there are some great guides out there (I linked to the ones I used at the bottom of this post). I will say that even having a general idea of coding and what I was doing, I still had some major heart-stopping moments. It also took me the better part of three hours to get it right, since it only takes one mistake to render the process moot and have to start over. (incidentally, those were the times I was terrified I had bricked the phone. It is a horrible feeling to be staring at your phone and not know whether it will boot, or if you've done something irrevocably wrong to it.)

The end result, however, was totally worth the late night of worry. As I mentioning in the beginning of this post, I have rediscovered how much I love Android. The CyanogenMod ROM gives me about as pure a 2.2 experience as you can get, while also offering some fantastic features. For instance, I think I am in love with whomever coded the power widget into the notification bar. Genius! It has also given me access to applications and functions that are impossible without root. My favorite is Titanium Backup, which I got a premium license for. It backs up all the apps AND their data, which is a great feeling for a tech tinkerer like me. I also like that you can link it to dropbox and keep a backup there as well, for some extra insurance.

I also now have access to Apps2SD, which, while not really a root program, does require Froyo, and so was unavailable to me until I took matters into my own hands. I am absolutely loving that I can now keep all the apps I use, even the ones I pull up infrequently, on my phone. It was really a pain to have to constantly uninstall and reinstall applications based on what I needed at the time.

I can't say enough happy things about my phone now. I'm spending more time futzing with it now than I ever did before. If you're on the fence about rooting, I have to say, just go for it. You won't regret it!

Resources I Used:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=TMobile_myTouch_Slide:_Full_Update_Guide
http://richard.gluga.com/2010/08/complete-guide-to-rooting-and-hacking.html

No comments:

Post a Comment